Monday, May 31, 2010

French chicks have it so easy.

So yesterday in my sicken stupor I was reading online about the French Riviera, specifically the pebble beaches of Nice, France.

About how the stones never get hot enough to burn your feet and are great for skipping and also how it's a topless beach. My immediate thought upon reading this was this:

Wow. Those French chicks must save a lot of money on bathingsuits.

Bathingsuits are expensive and by only having to buy the bottom half you save at least half off the price, probably more than that. The top half is the expensive part of the swimsuit. Think of the money you could save! I was just perusing swimsuits online and the one I want is $120. If I only had to buy the bottom it would save me $70 buckaroos. You could buy another whole half bathingsuit with those savings. Combined with the money they save by not buying razors to shave their pits it's no wonder they can afford all those swank designer clothes.

Although you do lose out on considerable fashion statements. For example, my new favorite thing is to mix bottoms and tops of bathingsuits, instead of wearing them together. I can get away with this because I don't wear prints (See Cue the sigh of disdain blog post. Though I must say that swimsuits are small enough that you could get away with mixing prints. But you would have to be uber careful and they would have to have matching colors. Florals and stripes and the like. And appropriately sized prints. You can't mix two big prints. There are just too many rules to print mixing to put in a parenthetical.) and you can mix solids. There is not a whole lot of statement you can make with just bottoms. Unless they're those bottoms that have those dumb keyhole cut-outs. That statement you're making is "Hi, I'm a dumb whore." Then again if you're only wearing half a swimsuit you're obviously not concerned about looking a little less than modest. Or those stupid little ruffle skirts that aren't long enough to serve any purpose. Those say "Hi. I obviously have daddy issues because I cannot purchase age appropriate swimwear and I make it even creepier by choosing to abstain from the top half of it." But these are clearly American mistakes. Europeans have an innate fashion sense that makes them turn their nose up at key-hole cutouts. I can't say the same for ruffle skirts. I feel they may covet them this season. Sigh. But I'm sure that French chicks have the whole topless bathingsuit thing under control and are the richer for it.

Although I just recently read or heard, on NPR I think, that the Frenchies are starting to wear their tops because the Americans are besmirching their topless beaches with tackiness. That now on the Riviera it's the French women covering up. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the vintage suit is coming back and we know how the French like to be ahead. Just in fashion though.

No comments:

Post a Comment