Monday, December 13, 2010

You're never as smart as you think you are.

But you are probably stupider than you thought.

And yes I know, stupider is not a word. I'm trying to make it a word by using it regularly and in context. Similar to my campaign with Canadia.

And yes I know that if you aren't as smart as you think you are, by definition that means you're more stupid. Or stupider. Stupider than you thought you were.

I finished my biophysics final today. All 4 questions of it. Questions in which I graphed chaos theory and determined the distance between two ends of a protein for FRET. *To translate that last bit for my non-biological minded readers, just insert 'some marginally hard shit' in place of the parts that don't make sense to you. Those were the questions I could do. The other 2 questions were about enzyme kinetics and molecular dynamics of alpha helix formations. *To translate that for my non-biological minded readers please insert 'No one likes the people that can actually do this impossible shit.' in the parts you don't understand. I still have friends (I think?) so that tells you how successful I was on that. Assuming that my friends like me and if they don't it's not because they're jealous of my mad enzyme kinetics skills. Because those skills, they don't exist.

I got to thinking about how smart I really am. While I like to think I have an increased apitude for some things I often realize that I'm really not as smart as I think that I am. Or I drink too much and the alcohol is killing off my brain cells. That and the fumes. From what I can't remember. Or I'm just getting older. I hear you peak intellectually in your mid-late twenties. Although I imagine that's because at that point in your life you don't have the time or the inclination to wax philosophically about Sartre. You've got to clean the damn tub and those Sartre brain cells have to be re-assigned to remembering to pick up laundry detergent and tampons.

But the point is this, that if you were as smart as you thought a smart person could be then how smart would you be?

You would be as smart as a smart person could be, if a smart person could be smart.

So really it's a matter of perception. You perceive that you're smart and you are. Until you're proven wrong and you come face-to-face with your own idiocy.

Good luck with that.

2 comments:

  1. You are easily on my Top Ten list of "smartest people I know and would call if in the Cash Cab." Also, don't forget that social perception of "brains" is just as subjective as "beauty" -- there was a time people though Einstein was a tard. And that Freud was an epic-win genius. So. Hah. Suck it, hind-sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snort. Gosh how I wish that 'snort' was an able onomatopoeia. It just doesn't carry as much weight written as in person. Just assume that I amused by your comment and it has made me smile sardonically.

    ReplyDelete