Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Would you like some percocet with that whine?

So today is obviously going to suck royally. I had the craziest damn dream. I had a dream that both of my cousin's died within a week of each other and I had to skip my friend's wedding to go to the older one's funeral. And then the husband of my dear friend wanted to buy the older cousin's dirt-bike. The one he died on, and I somehow was wrangled into being the one to sell it.

This is why I don't take B-complex vitamins. For serious.

Then my mother calls at 6:45 AM because she's EVIL and I wake up hit the ignore button and go back to sleep to be pelted with the images and thoughts of my family dying and being double booked again at two different engagements. I suppose you could point out that the major sources of stress in this dream that I had twice are as follows:

Grief and Anxiety.

If that doesn't follow my real life then I'm not sure what does.

For example, I get it together and walk to the bus station to catch the bus to Greensboro and voila guess what? It's out of service. Oh look! A source of anxiety.

And here's a source of grief. . .although it's arguable for who it is for. . .

Apparently you need to look the part to hang out at the bus station and I just don't look it. Because while waiting for the in service PART bus to come guess what? Yes. Some guy approaches me and we have the following dialogue:

Him: Hey. How are you Miss Lady?

Me: I'm good and you?

Him: I'm Blessed today. . .I've never seen you around here. Where are you coming from?

Me: (I don't normally think before I open my mouth but I did this time and I think it will end up being very fortuitous.) Over there. (Pointing in a general west-ward direction.)

Him: Oh okay. You taking the bus? (Incredulously.)

Me: Yeah, I work in Greensboro.

Him: Do you know anything about any Percocets?

Me: No.

Him: Oxycontins?

Me: No.

Him: Okay. Well I was just making sure.

Several things to point out: First of all, he probably didn't realize he was incredulously asking if I rode the bus. He probably just didn't believe me. (I added that in for effect and I like to use at least two big words per post. Weird I know. ) Secondly, For Fuck's Sake! Do I look like I know about the drug trade? I mean I am wearing designer sunglasses but damn! i don't exactly exude a confidence about prescription drugs. Maybe it's because I'm white? What the hell? I mean damn! I volunteer at the homeless shelter so it's not like I don't know how to handle seedy folks and their seedy questions and even seedier innuendos that are sometimes not even really innuendo anymore, they just come out and say it. I've become rather good at deflecting. I'm just saying that riding the bus back and forth to work isn't going to be economical anymore if I have to support a drug habit to be able to ride the bus.

Whatever you do, don't tell my mom. She'll flip.

No comments:

Post a Comment